Friday, December 7, 2012

Tikal! - Guatemala and R.O.U.S's

Oh my. I was blown away by this place.

stopped for a bite on the shores of Peten
beware of Jaguars
and R(odents)O(f)U(nusual)S(ize)
and blue headed weird vulture turkey peacock bird thingys
photo can't capture how huge the ceiba trees are here
trail to the temples

first glimpses
oh my. these things are enormous
first sight of temple IV. Tallest in the mayan world
I watched the sun set over the jungle from the top of temple IV
Actually climbed up on the scaffolding on the closed off west side of the top of the temple to watch the sunset. Unreal experience. Howler monkeys yelling below me. Spider monkeys chattering because some predator is close. Birds making noises like a starwars gunfight.

Then climbed to the top of temple II in the almost pitch dark with a couple other people in the grand plaza.


eerie hiking back to my campsite after sunset

That is a 3-4 foot juvenile fer d lance. deadliest snake in the world. caught it with my headlamp when it looked like the tree root was moving. that would have changed the trip just a little. holy shit. jungle.










No comments:

Post a Comment