Wednesday, November 7, 2012

And so it (finally)begins

It was tough finally getting out of town. Not just all of the last second details but stopping and seeing people on the way out and saying goodbyes. I hadn't felt the bittersweet like this in a long time. Years. Excited and anxious for sure but the reality of being away from everything really hitting home.

After getting everything loaded and hugging my daughter one last time, I had a couple stops still to make on my way out. It was my plan to stop by the office in Ketchum last and then continue on up over Galena and through Stanley before stopping in Boise for the night. And then down into Nevada. Not to be.

Massive cold front moving in. I'd been watching the weather closely, knew today had to be the day, and by the time I got to Ketchum it was starting to look ugly up north. Sure enough, just as I am leaving the office, it starts a light rain. I hope it ends up being a good omen - isn't there something about rain on wedding day?

So I turned back around and headed south. As I am coming through Hailey it just so happened that Meagan was leaving to catch a plane in Boise and she ended up right behind me on the way out of town and down to the flashing light. We said goodbye again one last time at the rest area when she headed west and i kept heading south. 

It was kind of weird getting into Twin on my bike. That was the furthest I'd been from home with it so far. It was getting dark by this time but I may as well have stayed home if I'm only going to Twintucky so I kept going and made it into Nevada. Lost some money at the tables at Cactus Pete's but got it all back and more at Barton's before crashing for the night. 

Only about 130 miles but a great first day.


No comments:

Post a Comment