Saturday, November 17, 2012

Watch for me on the mountain


Watch for me on the Mountain is the title of one of my absolute favorite books. It was written by Forrest Carter. The same author as The Education of Little Tree. Its about Geronimo and goes into the history of the Apache and what we did to them. The mountain is at the top of Apache Pass where we built Fort Bowie. This is a picture of that mountain in the background of the Fort Bowie graveyard.

Fort Bowie/Apache Pass is about 20 miles off the small highway and ends in a dirt road for another couple miles before coming to a trailhead where you can hike into and up to the site. This is where Geronimo, Cochise, and Mangas Coloradas played hell with the Union Army, Wells Fargo, and anyone else after what we did to them.

I've always had a keen interest and I had the place all to myself. It was really cool to see. And, probably because its so remote, it was really cool how its been preserved. How you can't get there in a vehicle. How it's been preserved. It was also nice to go for a hike. My ass is gettin sore.


Doesn't look like much but this is what it was all about. The only water. Apache Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment